Real estate agents are an essential part of the buying process. Choosing an agent is the most difficult and daunting decision a home seller will have to make before listing. Why? Because the difference between a good agent and a bad agent can be hundreds of thousands of dollars.
Here’s a simple guide to getting the right agent for the job.
10 Critical Points to Consider when choosing your property agent
- CHOOSE an agent with an evidence based history of success
- ASSESS the agents/salespersons level of skill and integrity – REMEMBER- this is your most valuable asset you are placing in their hands
- REQUEST details of legitimate testimonials
- CHECK prices quoted for services rendered; that there are no ‘add-on’ fees
- VERIFY the appraisal price quoted is founded on ‘proof of sales’ and EVIDENCE-BASED data in the past 6 – 12 months only!
BEWARE of agents who…
Overprice your property
Promise everything and deliver nothing
…SIMPLY to secure your listing!
A less than credible agent is determined to secure your business at any price. If the agent OVER-PRICES your property you will spend many months and in some cases ‘years’ on the market for sale; whilst the agent lowers your expectation from the figure they told you in the first place!
- ESTABLISH the chain of responsibility – who conducts the open homes/inspections and more importantly, who carries out the critical follow-up with potential purchases.
- What HOURS/DAYS do the agent/salesperson work – what is their commitment to you?
- Ensure you feel comfortable and can establish a rapport with your agent/salesperson. If you feel uncomfortable DO NOT employ that person. You need to develop a healthy working relationship with your representative.
- INTERVIEW more than one agent/salesperson, I suggest at least two or three – before you make your decision.
- Ask yourself in the final analysis – do I TRUST this person to honestly represent my best interests in a professional and ethical manner? Is this person known as a credible AGENT in your community?